BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Y Tots Team Member
Base Pay Rate: $16.00/hour
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Revision Date: 11/27/2023
Reports to: Director of Youth Development
Primary Function/Department: Youth Development
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Y Tots Team Member at the Bloomington-Normal YMCA assists in the development and operations of all Pre-School Aged Programs (Y Tots Play, Y Tots FUNdamentals, etc.) to help ensure that the programs meet their intended goals. The Y Tots Team Member will exemplify and foster our core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility which promote healthy youth development by building a healthy spirit, mind and body.
YMCA MISSION AND CORE VALUES:
The mission of the YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs, services, and relationships that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The Core Values of the YMCA are Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility. At the Bloomington-Normal YMCA we are a team of employees dedicated to advancing the mission and values of the YMCA through service and support of all members in our unique community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
1. Supervise and implement the existing Preschool Aged Programming (Y Tots Play, Y Tots FUNdamentals, etc.) in accordance with the goals and policies of the Bloomington-Normal YMCA.
2. Facilitates age-appropriate, purposeful and engaging activities and group projects that create an atmosphere of achievement, relationship and belonging, as directed by the Youth Development Coordinator and Director of Youth Development.
3. Helps in developing a careful and creative program suitable for preschool aged children.
4. Follows program lesson plans and implements plans in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants.
5. Clean spaces and materials used by participants thoroughly, following all cleaning protocols as outlined by the Youth Development Coordinator and the Director of Youth Development.
6. Provide appropriate guidance and discipline to children ages 2-5 and show support in dealing with safety and/or other behavioral concerns.
7. Provide appropriate supervision for children at all times.
8. Work in cooperation with team members to assure the individual needs
of each child is met as the situation demands.
9. Maintain confidentiality of all children’s information and records.
10. Communicate with the Youth Development Coordinator and Director of Youth Development through emails and phone conversations when necessary.
11. Work all scheduled shifts unless coverage has been confirmed with the Youth Development Coordinator and/or Director of Youth Development.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to interact well with children between the ages of 2 to 5.
2. Possess active listening and time management skills.
3. Proficiency in understanding the developmental needs of youth.
4. Available Monday through Thursday from 1:30pm - 3:30pm and 4:00pm-7-00pm preferred.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS: .
● One to two years related experience (e.g., childcare programming team member) preferred.
● Ability to obtain CPR/First Aid, Mandated Reporter, and other relevant certifications.
● Fulfillment of state-specific hiring standards and completion of YMCA program-specific training.
● Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. Standing, bending, walking, and stretching for an hour at a time.
2. Hand-eye coordination and ability to operate the necessary indoor and outdoor equipment and activities.
3. Occasional lifting up to 25+ pounds.
4. Moderate to loud noise levels in the work environment.
5. Occasional stooping, kneeling, and crawling.
6. Ability to work morning, afternoon, and evening hours as needed, with occasional weekends if applicable.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.