BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Piano Instructor
Base Pay Rate: $20.00/hour
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Revision Date: 4/18/2023
Reports to: Director of Youth Development
Primary Function/Department: Youth Development
Teach piano lessons to ensure that all lessons are conducted in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes youth development and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
YMCA MISSION AND CORE VALUES:
The mission of the YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs, services, and relationships that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The core values of the YMCA are caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. At the Bloomington-Normal YMCA we are a team of employees dedicated to advancing the mission and values of the YMCA through service and support of all members in our unique community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Instruct energizing, fun, safe, and educational piano lessons.
- Answer questions from students and parents to support them in achieving their goals related to performing arts.
- Build effective, authentic relationships with students; helps students connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Communicate effectively with parents/participants regarding lessons, updates, and other needs.
- Keeps accurate attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; respond to emergency situations
- Attend periodic meetings, trainings, and recitals with instructors and/or participants
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director of Youth Development.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to interact with children and adults of all ages.
2. Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently.
3. Proficiency in piano.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge, experience, or certifications in area of expertise or equivalent experience.
- One to two years related experience (e.g., piano instructor in childcare programming) preferred.
- CPR/AED/First Aid, Mandated Reporter, and other relevant certifications required.
- Fulfillment of state-specific hiring standards and completion of YMCA program-specific training.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Flexible work schedule 5-15 hours per week.
- Have lesson plans prepared for each week.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.