BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Instructor - Wellness
Base Pay Rate: $13.00/hour
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Revision Date: 7/12/2022
Reports to: Director of Wellness
Primary Function/Department: Wellness
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the supervision of the Director of Wellness, this position is responsible for leading and instructing group fitness classes in a safe, effective, and positive environment for participants of all fitness levels. Cycle and Yoga instructors are encouraged to apply!
The mission of the YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs, services, and relationships that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The Core Values of the YMCA are Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility. At the Bloomington-Normal YMCA we are a team of employees dedicated to advancing the mission and values of the YMCA through service and support of all members in our unique community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
1. Effectively builds community among group fitness participants.
2. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs.
3. Under the supervision of the Director of Wellness, leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes that align with YMCA program goals and objectives.
4. Understands the varying health needs of YMCA patrons; observes and adjusts approaches to support the individual needs, capabilities, physical conditions, health, and cultures of all participants.
5. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members and program participants.
6. Keeps accurate records in accordance with YMCA standard operating procedures.
7. Follows all YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations as needed.
8. Demonstrates and upholds the YMCA’s core values and guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility at all times.
9. Intentionally and continuously strives to promote a culture that values and strengthens diversity and inclusion.
10. Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
11. Performs other duties as determined by departmental needs.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of Spanish language both written and spoken.
- One year of group fitness class instruction experience.
YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.