Bloomington-Normal YMCA Position Description
Job Title: Facilities Team Member
Base Pay Rate: $13/hr
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Status: Part Time
Revision Date: 4/7/22
Reports to: Director of Maintenance
Primary Function/Department: Facilities
Under the supervision of the Director of Maintenance, the Facilities Team Member will be responsible for the overall cleanliness of the facility and the completion of planned cleaning projects. The Facilities Team Member responds to member concerns in a professional and courteous manner and assists the Director of Maintenance in the further development of the custodial department.
YMCA MISSION & CORE VALUES:
The mission of the YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs, services, and relationships that build, healthy, spirit, mind, and body for all. The core values of the YMCA are caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. At the Bloomington-Normal YMCA we are a team of employees dedicated to advancing the mission and values of the YMCA through service and support of all members in our unique community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming; we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine; we value and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful, we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing; we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined; above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Ensures the upkeep of high quality facilities and equipment through the completion of regular housekeeping tasks and projects throughout the YMCA facility. Including general cleaning of spaces, floor refinishing, landscaping, and snow removal based on department needs.
- Keeps an accurate record of completed tasks and projects per department standards.
- Regularly communicates with the Director of Maintenance regarding the need to order cleaning supplies, chemicals, and PPE.
- Communicates and reports any broken or damaged equipment to the Director of Maintenance.
- Assists the Director of Maintenance in developing task lists based on facility needs.
- Assists the Director of Maintenance in training new staff members on cleaning methods, equipment, and procedures.
- Works independently to ensure a safe environment for staff and members by making sure security and emergency procedures are implemented properly.
- Ensures the safety of cleaning tools, chemicals, and equipment through regular inspections and safe handling.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with all YMCA vendors.
- Responsible for locking and securing all doors to maintenance spaces during operating hours.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of staff and members.
- Intentionally and continuously strives to promote a culture that values and strengthens diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates and upholds the YMCA’s core values and guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility at all times.
- Other duties as determined by departmental needs.
NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated and relevant work experience
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to complete task lists independently with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of occupational hazard safety rules
- Night and weekend availability
- CPR & AED certifications (YMCA provided within 30 days of hire date)
- DCFS mandated reporter certification (YMCA provided within 30 days of hire date)
- High school diploma or equivalent
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Understanding of the Spanish language both spoken and written
- Prior experience with commercial cleaning equipment and floor finishing
- Use of commercial cleaning chemicals and equipment to clean and disinfect the facility.
- Communication using a computer, phone, or smart device.
- Sitting, standing, reaching, and ability to move around the work environment.
- Repetitive motion for long periods of time.
- Occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds.
- Use of vision abilities including close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- Varying lights levels/color and changing visual stimulation
- Moderate noise levels in the work environment.
- Occasional stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Ascending and descending stairs.
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.