BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Assistant Coach - Swim Team
Base Pay Rate: $14/hour
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Status: Part Time
Revision Date: 6/6/22
Reports to: Head Swim Coach
Primary Function/Department: Aquatics Swim Team
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Assistant Coach – Swim Team at the Bloomington-Normal YMCA serves others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting them as they grow in their journey of healthy living.
YMCA MISSION AND CORE VALUES:
The mission of the YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs, services, and relationships that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The Core Values of the YMCA are Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility. At the Bloomington-Normal YMCA we are a team of employees dedicated to advancing the mission and values of the YMCA through service and support of all members in our unique community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected.
- Builds relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Shares program information with members, using available tools and resources (e.g., handouts, schedules).
- Assists members/participants with proper equipment use.
- Advises members/participants on proper technique in an effort to minimize personal injury.
- Asks and answers questions (e.g., post-enrollment interview) and displays empathy in support of helping members and program participants define and build confidence to achieve their health and wellness goals based on their personal goals, cultural background, healthcare needs, diverse abilities and interests; develops plans to meet their individual needs.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Maintains working knowledge to provide effective information and support to members.
- Maintains and cleans equipment according to the schedule or as requested by supervisor.
- Reports any malfunctioning equipment for repair.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures.
- Enforces pool rules and policies in accordance with the Aquatics Safety Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Developing Self & Others
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications required.
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification (YMCA provided).
- Bloodborne Pathogens and Child Abuse Prevention training required within 30 days of hire.
- Ability to and at least one year of experience developing positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- May work in a warm, humid environment.
- May be exposed to pool and cleaning chemicals.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR, Oxygen and First Aid effectively.
- Swim with proficiency and endurance for possible rescues.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with members and staff.