BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Referee Job Grade: Seasonal
Reports to: Director of Sports Revision Date: 07/14/2022
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the supervision of the Director of Sports and Healthy Living, the Referee is responsible for officiating games and ensuring safety, equality, and fair play to all children, coaches, and fans at YMCA events.
- Maintain current knowledge of developmentally appropriate rules and regulations for varying age groups.
- Maintaining open and consistent communication with the Director of Sports and Healthy Living and other YMCA staff as necessary.
- Developing and fostering relationships with volunteer coaches, members, staff, program participants and community members.
- Officiating games in a manner of safety, fairness, equality, and inclusion.
- Reports any incidents or injuries in accordance with the YMCA Safety Plan and/or Facility Emergency Plan.
- Exhibits professionalism in interactions with members, participants, and YMCA employees.
- Demonstrates and upholds the YMCA’s core values and guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility at all times.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proven history of a demonstrated attitude of a servant leader and the ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Strong knowledge in officiating rules and regulations.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Possession of Spanish language both written and spoken.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- May be required to sit, stand, stoop, or kneel for extended periods of time.
- Physical mobility in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to see, hear, and communicate clearly and be able to hear noises and signals.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with members and staff.
- Moderate to loud noise levels.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.