BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Personal Trainer Job Grade: Part time (non-exempt)
Reports to: Director of Healthy Living/Youth Sports Revision Date: 11/3/2021
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the supervision of the Director of Healthy Living/Youth Sports, the Personal Trainer will be responsible for providing structured and personalized exercise and nutritional coaching to YMCA members and program participants. The Personal Trainer will support the YMCA’s mission by building genuine and meaningful relationships with clients, members, and relevant staff.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of trends in the Health/Wellness industry.
- Provides, clear, consistent, and timely communication to prospective clients, clients, members, and all relevant staff.
- Maintains accurate records in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains an extensive working knowledge of all relevant wellness equipment and technology usage and benefits.
- Completes wellness assessments.
- Abides by all facility rules, policies, and regulations.
- Is observant of all potential hazards in all relevant areas in the facility and ensures the proper measures are taken to rectify the hazard.
- Recognizes equipment that needs to be repaired and communicates those issues to members, the Director of Healthy Living/Youth Sports, and the Sr. Director of Facilities Management in accordance with YMCA standard operating procedures.
- Under the direction of the Director of Healthy Living/Youth Sports, assists in the implementation and execution of wellness programming for members, staff, corporate partners, etc.
- Demonstrates and upholds the YMCA’s core values and guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility at all times.
- Intentionally and continuously strives to promote a culture that values and strengthens diversity and inclusion.
- Other duties as determined by departmental needs.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 21 years of age.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to relate to and communicate effectively to diverse groups of people.
- Ability to be consistently alert to potentially hazardous situations.
- Ability to be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies in accordance with the Bloomington-Normal YMCA’s Emergency Action Plan.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of Spanish language both written and spoken.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology or relevant field or degree in progress with and anticipated graduation date of no more than 6 months from date of hire.
- 2 years of demonstrated experience in the health and wellness industry.
- Minimum of 2 years in a customer service role.
- Current Personal Training Certificate (NASM, ACE, ACSM or other equivalent certification)
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid Certificate (YMCA provided, within 30 days of hire date).
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Sitting, standing, stooping, or kneeling for extended periods of time.
- Must be mentally alert to potentially hazardous situations.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies in accordance with the Bloomington-Normal YMCA’s Emergency Action Plan.
- Must be able to communicate clearly.
- Moderate noise levels in the work environment
- Occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 75 pounds.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.