BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Group Fitness Instructor Job Grade: Part time (non-exempt)
Reports to: Director of Youth Sports/Healthy Living Revision Date: 11/10/2021
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the supervision of the Director of Healthy Living/Youth Sports, this position is responsible for leading and instructing group fitness classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment for participants of all skills and fitness levels.
1. Effectively builds community among group fitness participants.
2. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs.
3. Under the supervision of the Director of Health Living/Youth Sports, leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes that align with YMCA program goals and objectives.
4. Understands the varying health needs of YMCA patrons; observes and adjusts approach to support the individual needs, capabilities, physical conditions, health, and cultures of all participants.
5. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members and program participants.
6. Keeps accurate records in accordance with YMCA standard operating procedures.
7. Follows all YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations as needed.
8. Demonstrates and upholds the YMCA’s core values and guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility at all times.
9. Intentionally and continuously strives to promote a culture that values and strengthens diversity and inclusion.
10. Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
11. Other duties as determined by departmental needs.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in group fitness classes and activities.
- Ability to relate to and communicate effectively to diverse groups of people.
- Relevant certification in area of expertise.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications (YMCA provided within 30 days of hire date).
- DCFS Mandated Reporter Training certification (obtained within 30 days of hire date).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Possession of Spanish language both written and spoken.
- One year of group fitness class instruction experience.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrated, relevant work experience.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting.
- Significant noise level.
- Varying lights levels/color and changing visual stimulation.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.