Flyers Travel Basketball
DEVELOPING CHARACTER THROUGH COMPETITION
MISSION STATEMENT: To promote the love of basketball, to guide players with a better appreciation for the game, and to learn life lessons through competition.
FLYERS is a competitive travel basketball club at the YMCA. Boys and girls (grades 3-8) will have the opportunity to play against other travel teams from Central Illinois and Suburban Chicago. FLYERS has a Spring/Summer Season in which the children practice and play in tournaments.
Flyers is for...
- Highly competitive kids who are eager to play basketball with other committed athletes
- Players who select basketball as their favorite sport
- Players who are able to compete at a high level
- Players who are willing to commit to a team-first culture
- Experienced coaches selected by the YMCA based on experience, knowledge of the game, and commitment to the development of kids as players and as people
- Games played against other competitive travel teams
- A seasonal seminar on diet and nutrition delivered by an ACE Certified Personal Trainer (parents and players welcome to attend)
- Weekly conditioning sessions to improve physical condition as well as basketball fundamentals
- At least two practices per week
- 6 tournaments located in Central Illinois and Suburban Chicago
- Teams of athletes in grades 5-8 will partake in weekly strength and conditioning sessions led by YMCA Lead Personal Trainer, Nicolette Hursey. Click here to learn about Nicolette.
Boys Tryouts (grades 3-5): Sunday, February 23, 2020; 2pm-3pm
Boys Tryouts (grades 6-8): Sunday, February 23, 2020; 3pm-4pm
Registration for tryouts is FREE and can be done online or in person at the YMCA.
FLYERS CLUB basketball practice:
- Practices begin: April 6, 2020
- Teams practice three hours each week
- Practice days and times will be determined after rosters have been set
strength & Conditioning
In order to compete at a high level, a player must be in good physical condition. The Flyers will incorporate overall fitness training, as well as basketball-specific speed and agility training, into practices. Weekly conditioning sessions will be held with Nicolette Hursey, a certified personal trainer and a former collegiate basketball player.
- Workout Days and Times: Tuesdays from 5:00 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.
- Tournaments are selected by parents and coaches
- FLYERS season ends with an AYBT Nationals Tournament in July
- Club Fee: $115
- Uniform Fee: $80 - Returning players do not need a new jersey
- Tournament Fee: $150-$180 - Fees are split equally among players regardless of their ability to attend or participate
Scholarships are available through the YMCA Strong Kids campaign.
For more information, contact the Director of Operations, Brad Ruehrdanz, at email@example.com.