Flyers Travel Basketball
DEVELOPING CHARACTER THROUGH COMPETITION
MISSION STATEMENT: To promote the love of basketball, to guide players with a better appreciation for the game, and to learn life lessons through competition.
FLYERS is a competitive travel basketball club at the YMCA. Boys and girls (grades 3-8) will have the opportunity to play against other travel teams from Central Illinois and Suburban Chicago. FLYERS has a Spring/Summer Season in which the children practice and play in tournaments.
Flyers is for...
- Highly competitive kids who are eager to play basketball with other committed athletes
- Players who select basketball as their favorite sport
- Players who are able to compete at a high level
- Players who are willing to commit to a team-first culture
- Experienced coaches selected by the YMCA based on experience, knowledge of the game, and commitment to the development of kids as players and as people
- Games played against other competitive travel teams
- A seasonal seminar on diet and nutrition delivered by an ACE Certified Personal Trainer (parents and players welcome to attend)
- Weekly conditioning sessions to improve physical condition as well as basketball fundamentals
- At least two practices per week
- 6 tournaments located in Central Illinois and Suburban Chicago
- Teams of athletes in grades 5-8 will partake in weekly strength and conditioning sessions led by YMCA Lead Personal Trainer, Nicolette Hursey. Click here to learn about Nicolette.
Girls Tryouts (grades 3-8): Sunday, January 19, 2020; 2pm-4pm
Boys Tryouts (grades 3-8): Sunday, February 23, 2020; 2pm-4pm
Registration for tryouts is FREE and can be done online or in person at the YMCA.
strength & Conditioning
In order to compete at a high level, a player must be in good physical condition. The Flyers will incorporate overall fitness training, as well as basketball-specific speed and agility training, into practices. Weekly conditioning sessions will be held with Nicolette Hursey, a certified personal trainer and a former collegiate basketball player.
Scholarships are available through the YMCA Strong Kids campaign.
For more information, contact the Director of Youth Sports/Wellness, Brad Ruehrdanz, at email@example.com.