BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL YMCA POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Job Title: Director of Sports Job Grade: Full-time Exempt
Reports to: Sr. Director of Program Development Revision Date: 12/27/2021
Salary Range: $40,000
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Director of Sports at the Bloomington-Normal YMCA serves as the lead program innovator and implementer of sports for all ages. The Director of Sports serves on the associations Operations Leadership Team.
The timing of this position opening is a significant opportunity for applicants as we embark on the expansion of a new, state-of-the-art 75,000 square foot facility in the heart of the community in a partnership with Easterseals of Central Illinois. Projected to open in June of 2022, the team members of today will be the history-makers of tomorrow, bringing to our community, one and all, the best that the YMCA has to offer.
The Director of Sport’s essential job functions are multi-functional - programmatic, operational, and supervisory, and are focused on best-in-class program quality and experience for all participants.
By being a part of the Y team that supports our community, the Y also supports its team members by offering a benefits package that exceeds the competition with fully paid health and dental insurance, 12% of salary retirement plan contributions, and progressive paid time off to support a healthy work/life balance and family focus, not to mention a complimentary household Y membership that can be used at any YMCA.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. The Bloomington-Normal YMCA’s guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility are first and foremost in everything we do.
2. Facilitate the organization, management, and operation of high quality sports programs and establish new program activities.
3. Assures compliance with federal, state and local regulations as they relate to sports program areas, including ADA accommodations where appropriate. Ensure that YMCA sports programming aligns with all state, local, and YMCA quality standards.
5. Develops safety plans for sports programming sites and ensure all safety standards are followed by site team members.
6. Expand sports programming within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans and community needs and development.
9. Monitors and evaluates the success and effectiveness of sports programming through measured statistical data.
11. Manages annual budget for sports program areas. Ensures program’s operation within budget and sport program fees are collected through demonstrated sound fiscal management skills.
14. Train, develop, engage, and retain team members.
15. Review and evaluate staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals, foster staff engagement and development.
16. Manage bi-weekly payroll hours for accuracy and approval. Ensure team members are following timekeeping guidelines.
20. Intentionally and continuously strives to promote a culture that values and strengthens diversity and inclusion.
21. Demonstrates and upholds the YMCA’s core values and guiding principles of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility at all times.
22. All other duties as assigned.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Engaging Community
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
1. Three (3) to five (5) years of related field experience.
3. Fun, creative and imaginative mind is desired to continue the program growth trajectory.
4. Communication proficiency in Spanish, both verbal and written
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Sport Management, Exercise Science, Health, or equivalent.
REQUIRED YMCA COMPETENCIES
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Due to the nature of programming, work schedule can be cyclical with intensity being greater some weeks/months than others. As such, adjusting hours to accommodate the needs of the job are acceptable and weekend work may be required.
Travel to/from off campus sites is required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bloomington-Normal YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email cover letter, and resume to Jackie Harper, Sr. Director of Finance and Administration to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday January 14, 2022 .