Flyers Travel Basketball
DEVELOPING CHARACTER THROUGH COMPETITION
MISSION STATEMENT: To promote the love of basketball, to guide players with a better appreciation for the game, and to learn life lessons through competition.
- Enhanced character development teaching self-control, responsibility, discipline, teamwork.
- Improve basketball skill development.
- Foster leadership opportunities.
PARENT INFORMATION MEETING
There will be a supplemental tryouts as follows for our Fall/Winter teams.
- Boys in grades 8 and 9 on September 4 from 5:30 pm - 7 pm at the YMCA
- Boys in grades 4, 5 and 6 on September 22 from 2 pm - 4 pm at the YMCA
We ask that all players register in advance, so we may plan accordingly. Register at : http://www.bnymca.org/main/register-for-programs/.
As a program of the Bloomington-Normal YMCA, the FLYERS travel basketball program welcomes parents, players, and coaches who are steadfast to improve their skills, by providing opportunities of higher level of play while maintaining the mission of the YMCA.
- To provide an opportunity for all players who exhibit skills, attitude, and desire to play competitive basketball.
- To accelerate player development through player commitment, instruction, practice, preparation, teamwork, and discipline.
- To instill in our players to work hard toward excellence....NOT PERFECTION.
- To prepare our players for success at the middle school and high school levels.
- To maintain the integrity, character, commitment and to compliment the YMCA in-house league.
- To remember that basketball is a fun and challenging game that requires players to develop the ability to overcome mistakes and to look forward to their next opportunity.
- To develop a "team-centric" style of play.
- To develop players who are good sportsman and sportswomen who respect all players on all teams.
- Sound fundamentals
- Team-centric focus (we before me)
- Playing time (60/40 playing philosophy)
- Physical conditioning
60/40 PLAYING PHILOSOPHY:
Practice is extremely valuable, but we recognize it cannot replace the game experience and that a player must have playing time to improve. While we will not guarantee equal playing time, we will make great efforts to ensure each player has adequate game experience. Our goal is to maintain a 60/40 playing philosophy that ensures all kids will play between 40%-60% of the time over the span of the season.
Scholarships are available through the YMCA Strong Kids campaign.
For more information, contact the Youth Sports Coordinator, Brad Ruehrdanz, at firstname.lastname@example.org.